Senior Mechanical / Electrical Design Engineer (Client Side)
£50,000 plus 15% non-contributory pension and substantial benefits
Capstone are working on an exclusive basis with the UK's most prestigious Landed Estate, consisting of a portfolio of historic, listed buildings and iconic landmarks. With their most prestigious asset about to undertake a major overhaul and transformation programme, they require a Senior Mechanical / Electrical Design Engineer to support the building services (MEP) element of this complex project.
The Senior Mechanical / Electrical Design Engineer will provide Mechanical / Electrical technical subject matter expertise to the Programme Management Office, with responsibility of reviewing and approving all designs from an engineering point of view. Reporting to the Design Director, the Senior Mechanical / Electrical Design Engineer will assist Project Managers in translating designs and concepts into execution and may be required to Project Manage aspects of the Mechanical / Electrical design.
Key responsibilities of this unique and exciting role;
- In conjunction with the Design Director, be responsible for determining requirements during early stages of scope development.
- Review and approve all designs within the Programme to support the PMO in being the 'intelligent client'.
- Provide knowledge of the 'buildability' of designs to ensure those proposed are achievable, minimising issues for contractors.
- Liaise with the Principle Designer, Estates Team and a diverse range of stakeholders to determine the most appropriate engineering solution.
- Act as Project Manager when required on Mechanical / Electrical elements, working in close liaison with PMO Directors to drive the performance of contractors to deliver the necessary quality on time and budget.
- Be responsible for the end-to-end project and programme management for those projects assigned. This will include: planning; overseeing the preparation of options, specifications, schedules of work, sketch plans and working drawings: change control, programme and progress, risk and opportunity reviews: management of the tender process; appointment of contractors; supervision and management through to completion, and handover.
- Liaise closely with the Estates Department to ensure projects are appropriately co-ordinated with other works so as to minimise disruption, ensuring the best use of resources and that work is carried out to the highest possible standards.
- Promote a culture of H&S excellence from design through to construction and operation requiring foresight and practical decision making.
- Ensure that all relevant statutory compliance and legislative requirements are met; that associated policies and procedures are known and adhered to; and that consultants and contractors are competent; to ensure that corrective measures are taken when necessary to address any issues of non-compliance.
The successful candidate
- A qualified Engineer (BEng/MEng) with experience of Mechanical or Electrical Building Services.
- Practical construction experience, with knowledge of project delivery required, preferably in a historic / listed building environment with experience working in a live operating environment.
- Strong appreciation of H&S from design through to delivery with relevant experience and training (asbestos, CDM, LOLER etc.) and appropriate CSCS card required.
- Adept at managing complex stakeholder relationships, with a diplomatic and collaborative approach, natural interpersonal skills and the ability to influence at all levels.
- Good people management and contractor relationship management skills.
This is an unrivalled opportunity in the marketplace to work on a major transformation project for one of the world's most recognisable buildings, and is suited for anyone wishing to work on a high-profile, highly technical and culturally significant scheme.
Senior Mechanical Engineer | Senior Public Health Engineer | Senior Electrical Engineer | MEP Design Manager | Project Engineer | Design Engineer | Engineering Manager | Building Services Engineer
Transparency Notice to Prospective Candidates