Position: Project Design Manager
Salary: £300-350 per day
Contract Length: 9 Months
Capstone have been instructed to source an Interim Project Design Manager to join a well-established retail brand. With both a strong brand currency and identity nationwide, you will gain high-end exposure across the retail sector. They are seeking an experienced individual to head up their technical design team as a Project Design Manager and report to the Head of Construction PMO. Closely aligned with ensuring brand aspirations, construction projects should be delivered to the highest standard. With a London Head Office base, travel to the Swindon Head Office and other key project sites will be a vital part of the role. The role will involve line management of the CAD Planning Team and technical design solutions, working closely with all internal departments, store landlords, consultants, construction suppliers and management executives.
- Ensure we have the capability to design the fast moving pipeline of projects across all formats, working closely with the Head of Construction PMO and Group Construction Director to create and maintain the right design supply chain.
- Translation of concept design ideas into construction and fixture designs.
- Accountable for developing and cataloguing our design and brand standards, including embedding a well-controlled web based central information system accessible to all remotely.
- Manage internal and external design inputs ensuring complete, quality and timely design information.
- Manage project design solutions to ensure brand standards are being delivered, including coordination of all elements of design such as ceilings, lighting design solutions, flooring, fixtures, colours, construction detailing, visual merchandising solutions, marketing & signage solutions.
- Ensure our landlord design submissions our complete and deliver the balanced design needs of WH Smith and our Landlords, being right first time.
- Lead our Design Forum which will review, workshop, and sign off all project designs.at their various stage gates.
- Coordinate all of the internal stakeholders who have a key design input, including brand, marketing, space & format, trading, commercial, and the construction teams, as well as the Executive team.
- Line Management and development of the CAD Team to drive accurate detailed technical drawings ensuring robust catalogue and change control process in place.
- Ability to offer choices to ensure the right balance of design flair and cost.
- Ability to deal with and embrace change.
- Encourage more efficient ways of working.
- Ability to present design solutions at all levels internally and externally.
- Maintain and manage best design practice for all aspects of construction project designs, with safety in mind at all times.
- Ensure legal and statutory guidance and legislation is appropriately considered at all design stages.
- Previous experience of design work on multiple retail construction projects.
- Previous construction design experience.
- Demonstration of an understanding of, and flair for, retail design.
- Must have excellent communication and influencing skills with the ability to interact at all levels of the organisation as well as with contractors, store teams and our other partners such as landlords etc.
- Needs to be comfortable with managing remotely making best use of skype, voice conferences etc to ensure regular two way communication and engagement with our contractors and partners.
- Excellent organiser able to manage multiple priorities in an ever changing environment, and able to keep focussed and give clear direction to teams
- A proven ability to make things happen and deal with issues and challenges in a positive 'can do' way as they occur and ensure learnings are captured to ensure continual improvement
- Experience of managing 3rd party contractors, setting up tight contracts with clear deliverables and SLA's, as well as managing suppliers / landlords relationships
- Self-managing with ability to plan and prioritise multiple activities and to juggle and prioritize effectively.
- There will be a requirement to visit site to sign off projects or to intervene if significant issues arise, prioritising when that is and isn't necessary and ensuring the optimal timing of any visits will be a key part of the role.
- Educated to Degree level with substantial relevant international experience, experience of projects in Travel hubs (airports, Railway stations etc) would be a distinct advantage
- Valid passport and Driving license
If you are interested please apply below:
Transparency Notice to Prospective Candidates